Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sláinte!

That's Cheers in Gaelic.
St. Patrick's Day always makes me smile - the idea of folks feeling Irish, drinking and being jolly, getting a wee bit rowdy, it's right up my alley. Gone are the days when we'd stay out late and turn a few shades of green, but there's still the part of Speedo and I that enjoy the atmosphere of a good pub on the 17th of March. I truly enjoy watching the different levels of enthusiasm the day everybody has a bit o'green in them.

Recently we went with Dr. C and his wife to a performance by the Irish band Danú - fantastic! Made me want to get up and do a jig. Except that I can't. At all. Our 3 older girls learned Irish step and it's one of the performances at their recital that gets thunderous applause. It's a clean, crisp, happy & energetic dance with ornate costumes and wigs. Captivating, to say the least.

It's good to be Irish. Speedo is quick to point out one thing Sigmund Freud commented once about the Irish, and he reminds me of the quote when I say or do something that leaves him with a finger on his chin, an eyebrow raised and a long drawn out "Hmmm..."

"This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever."

2 comments:

  1. Great picture betsey! :-) I neveer knew that you took irish step dancing. thats so cool! Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bets you look so cute with your hair like that!! Jenny

    ReplyDelete