Saturday, March 14, 2009

Run Baby, Run!

You Can If You Think You Can!

If you think you are beaten, you are,
If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you like to win, but you think you can't,
It is almost certain you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you're lost,
For out in the world we find,
Success begins with a fellow's will.
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are,
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before

You can ever win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man.
But soon or late the man who wins,
Is the man who thinks he can.

~ C. W. Longenecker ~

I love the feeling of accomplishment, but more than loving it for myself, I think I love witnessing an accomplishment for someone else. Two years ago, I didn't think I could swim more than out to the raft at Jugs' beach and back, maybe if I had to save one of the kids, I'm sure I could manage more. But barely. We're talking doggie-paddle nonsense and oodles of kick splashing. Today I can swim 2 miles comfortably. I love the feeling of accomplishment.

Today I witnessed a major accomplishment for 3 friends that didn't think they could do it. Whenever I hear someone say "I can't do that.... run that far? Be on a bike that long?! " I tell them my favorite "I can't" story about Jugs. Last year, Jugs had just had her 5th baby, and when he was 4 months old we started our training for our first triathlon; me, Jugs and PP. One day on a whim I did the 5 mile loop from my house, alone, hitting the pavement to "Eye of the Tiger" as my first miler song. (Dork!) I loved the run around the beaches, the sunrise, it was super sweet and very rewarding. The next long run we had planned, I said to Jugs and PP, let's just do it--5 miles. Slow and steady. Jugs immediately poo-pooed it; she could never run that far. No way. Just wasn't in her. She could only run 3. Period.

Then we did it! 5 miles. A delightful, exhilerating run. The 3 of us were patting each others backs for about 10 minutes in the driveway, high fiving, tushie smackin' and everything! (FYI-today she cruised a 7.52 pace over 3.2 miles! Her husband, Mr. Fancy Pants, better watch out!)

Today, MP, MH and BB-first time runners-took on a 5K with Jugs and I in the spirit of St. Paddy's Day and nailed it! They ran well, ran hard, finished together and they finished something they thought they just couldn't do! I am so proud of you girls!! You set your mind to it, you did it and you did it so well! What an inspiration! What an accomplishment!

When I am sitting on that bike into my 6th hour, mile 90-something, I know I can think of you girls for encouragement! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment