Monday, August 17, 2009

JDRF Ride Team Down Another Rider

Sad news on this humid Monday morning....

8 of us were out for an early morning 75 miler Sunday morning in preparation for our ride which is in two weeks (WOW!) and we cruised along for about 30 miles or so..... and then we had an accident.

We climbed a tall, long hill that we've ridden before. On the other side is a steep decent with sharp corners - and I mean sharp at the speed in which you can go down them. There were 3 riders ahead of me and the rest behind, most of us breaking hard because of the speed you can build up. Consciously, that morning, I braked more than I usually do.

Amy was not with us on the ride, as she normally would have been. Amy is going through the treatment for her thyroid which requires her to be away from humans (sounds so odd) for a week. For lack of a better term, she is contagious because of the medicine she had to take to battle her thyroid issues.

I almost always ride with Amy.

The days leading up to the ride, when plans were finalized with times and riders, etc., I almost called her to confirm our regular "meet up" to ride together to the group meeting place. And then remembered, Oh yea, she's not there for me to call. :( Needless to say, she also is not doing the JDRF ride because of her medical situation.

But I felt her with me in spirit yesterday anyway, and on that hill, for whatever reason, I was braking more than usual. I personally like the fast downhills-- they are always such a treat and reward for such a big climb. But my hands were so wet with sweat, it was so humid, and I took it easy.

Behind me on one of the last sharp corners, I heard a noise. Not a noise you hear when going downhill. Usually it's just the buzz of the wind in your ears and your bike tires whizzing. I think it was a foot dragging on the pavement, a clip shoe making a loud noise. I glanced back and saw a body flying into the woods on the corner.

I immediately stopped, yelled Rider Down! and got off my bike. 2 of the girls stopped immediately we got right off our bikes, went to the woods to see who it was. Everyone else behind us as they came around the corner stopped....

It was our friend Ralph, an avid rider, an experienced rider, the eldest in our group at a very fit 63 years old.

He missed the corner and somersaulted over his handlebars into the woods.

I have never heard anything like it.

He was lying on his back, making a noise that wasn't normal. 2 of the guys there were medically knowledgeable and went right to him, talked to him, did whatever it is you do in this situation, and we called 911. I thank God Kurt and Eddie were there-- they were so great in this situation.

The ambulance came and assessed him. They took him to the local hospital and later transferred him to another hospital trauma unit.

Ralph has a collapsed lung, 11 out of the 12 ribs on one side are broken, a broken clavicle and a little bleeding on his brain. He was conscious and talking when I called in and spoke with his daughter yesterday afternoon. But he has a long road of recovery ahead of him.

His helmet saved his life. I really believe that.

The rest of us made a pit stop after the ambulance left at a lake around the corner for Kurt to dip in - he was in the woods tending to Ralph in a poison ivy patch. We all rode home, the ride was over. The ride home was quiet and somber.

I was frazzled the rest of the day. I was not alone.

I took today off.

Bike safety is something Speedo worries about all the time. He did not handle the news well, always telling me I need to be more careful myself.

This was a reminder than no matter where you are, how careful you are, you can never be too careful. You are so vulnerable on the bike on the road.

Keep Ralph in your thoughts and prayers. I know he's going to be fine. But he's going to need the extra prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment