Friday, August 21, 2009

60+5= tee-eye-are-eee-dee

It is so hot in Connecticut. The temperatures have been hovering around 85 but the humidity is insane. It makes for outdoor exercise rather uncomfortable and I like to work out in the heat... hot summer mornings. But the sticky-can't breathe-barelytherewind-blazing sun-soupy conditions make it pret-ty difficult to not be tired when you're done and for the rest of the day. Hydrating along the way is key, and absolutely necessary, and sometimes I find I can't get enough fluids in me during the day after a workout in this weather. I have a couple Gatorades and refill my water bottle often, but it never seems like enough.

Yesterday morning I enlisted the help in planning a long route from my friend/spin instructor/chiropractor Chris and we went out for 60 miles-longest ride yet-that was supposed to be 75. I think 60 miles at my conversational pace for a long ride is a "cool down" for him, but he was gracious to come along, lead the way and keep me company.

I felt good the whole ride, albeit hot. When we stopped a couple times for bathroom breaks or quick blood sugar checks on Betsey, the sweat was dripping off us. When I rode behind him (which was almost the whole ride!) his sweat was splashing me! It was H-O-T!

Today I did a quick 5 mile run around the loop and even by the water - no wind. Betsey and her younger sister Libby came along with me on their bikes; something they love to do in the summer... they pretend their bikes are cars. They have free roam of the roads and sidewalks because virtually no one is out at that hour.

When I finished, I was drenched with sweat and my long braid had shriveled up to a ball of matted, snarly mess from the wetness out there.

And I'm pooped. The weather like this takes its toll. It makes you tired. Wears you down.

I look forward to a day off tomorrow, if not a quick swim, and then on Sunday, our JDRF riding team has planned a leisurely paced 75-80 mile ride. I will have camera in tow. It is our first meet up as a group; people I have yet to meet and ride with. And BONUS -Amy will be along for the ride! She is back from her treatment for her thyroid and feeling well! Her body is clean and clear of everything, and she is good to go! Thank God!
One week from tomorrow.... one hundred five miles.... ready or not....

No comments:

Post a Comment