Sunday, August 23, 2009

71 miles!

Record distance for me today!!!

The ride today was awesome; one of my faves! Amy was back in the saddle (no pun intended!) and I was thrilled to be out doing what we do so well together again! It's been a long time since she was able to focus on what she's doing rather than her medical issues that have been haunting her for some time now. But with a clean bill of health, she is fired up and ready to go again! Loaf that!!

It was a small group of us, smaller than I expected, but it was a blast! We did a very light and easy pace for about 50 of the miles, and towards the end a few of us got the itch to get down low and go! I felt great the whole time, not physically tired except at the very end... the last mile when I know we're done and it's like my body says, alright already!

The ride was mapped out by Timiqua (Timmy's new nickname; I am big into the nicknames of these people) and when you're riding at a conversational pace, you have more time to talk and discuss, and the nickname thing came up.

Our ride was to head in a round about way to the ferry in East Haddam and have a small break on the boat while it carried us across the river to the other side where we'd pick up and continue...... but the ferry was closed when we arrived and not opening until a few hours later. So our course changed, unexpectedly, and we managed to carry on as though it wasn't an issue. And it wasn't.

I think everyone got a little punchy about half way through, that endorphin thing we all love and crave so much takes over; it makes you love everyone around you.... you just wanna share the love, joy and peace you have inside you for the day, and we all got a little silly taking our clothes off and stuff.... well, not really, but if someone suggested it, we may have! I love that, when that happens. You can always tell because people start saying things out of context and out of character.

Amy says things like "You go girl... you are the bomb.... pass me some of dem cheese doodles..." while I'm climbing a hill.....

Or Timiqua might let his orifices vent and it's the funniest thing even though it's not...

Johndom stharths to sthwear which is tho out of character for him...

I may tell someone I love their bike shorts.... what?

I am ready for next week. I know I can do 105 miles, and I know it will be rewarding every pedal of the way, not only because there will be oodles of little type 1 diabetics lining the streets in VT as we go, but because of Betsey.

We put her pump back on yesterday with her CGMS. It's GREAT for me, it's easier and more reliable. More control. For her, it's the reminder of the needle that pokes, the site change every 3 days... the tubing. The accessories.

She was good with it. Better than I thought she'd be. She so welcomed shots this summer. But she seemed ready for the pump again! She understands we have to work out the kinks before school, get everything situated... But there is always that hesitation. I don't know exactly what it is. I think it's the fact that it's there---the pump is visible and right there. People can see it. People notice it. They ask, they stare, and once in a while we see a whisper. For me, I get protective. For her, she gets embarrassed. Annoyed. It's such a constant.

This ride is a good thing. One day, my girl.... one day....

No comments:

Post a Comment