Saturday, May 9, 2009

New Family-Diabetes Rule

Today we enjoyed visiting with family for my nephew, who is also my Godson, in celebration of his First Communion. Following the mass was a luncheon at my sister's house with oodles of yummy nibbles and a delicious cake. I helped myself to two large pieces of that naughty stuff trying to stock up on the carbs for Sunday morning's ride -this is how I justify it- that is going to kick my tush, I know it already. The children played kickball, played on the swing set, used the zip line and nibbled here and there.

Betsey nibbles too. She doesn't always test before each helping of food if they're half an hour in between, but every couple hours she should test to make sure her activity level and her insulin running through her are working well together.

This never happens when we're nibbling with folks. Never.

She'll glance at her pump to see what her sensor reads, and that's OK. Better than not knowing at all. And it's pretty accurate so I am alright with that. But all the nibbling, the bolus here, bolus there, forgetting to bolus.... It catches up. And then we have "the rule."

Our rule for Bets is that if her sugar reads above 200 mg/dl, she may not have a goodie -- cake, cookies, ice cream, candy... a goodie. That is a tough rule. Quite frankly, it sucks. And I hate enforcing it. We do let it slide sometimes, the guilt is too much for me.

We spent the large majority of the day at the party, and when we got home we were all inundated with yard work. All the little people were playing so well outside, enjoying the break from the ridiculous rain we've had. Before we knew it, it was 7:00 and no one had had dinner. I don't remember the last time Betsey tested.

I had grabbed a 3 layer chocolate cake at the grocery store , because, well, let's face it, I needed more carbs, again, for the ride in the morning. Always need those extra carbs.
For the bike ride.
When we finished eating Betsey was double checking her sugar. She was 304!! Whoopsie daisy. Someone nibbled some goodies and didn't punch in. The grazing on bits and pieces here and there and not bolusing caught up with her. The 3 layer chocolate cake was definitely out of the question for Betsey. As Speedo sliced, Betsey got that look in her eye, the one that just about kills me because she knows she can't have a piece, and she knows I'll surely say no, especially at 304- that's not a negotiable number. And that cake looked mighty fine. Speedo chirped in, "I won't have any either Bets."
We're talking 3 layer, double chocolate cake with ganache on top. The thing reeked of goodness.

Willpower.
He's a man. For a woman to say that, it takes more than willpower. It takes a trip to the scale in the bathroom, pulling out your wedding dress that no longer fits, looking in the mirror at Marshalls in the winter (!) and then, it's [sort of] easy to say, "No, thank you."
So the new Family Diabetes Rule was set in place tonight. When Betsey is running high and can't have the sweets offered, someone will offer up their sweets also. So she is not alone.
Very quickly, with a mouthful of chocolate cake, her brother said he'd do it..............next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment