Thursday, August 25, 2011

Happy is Good.

Whew---  Back from the Jersey Shore vacation and on to the next adventure!  

I've officially signed up for a 109 mile bike ride in Tuscon, AZ in November! 

What the heck am I thinking??!  I hate flying.  That's a long flight.  Omg!

I owe the push and encouragement to Steve Berube, a friend of mine and also a fellow parent of a diabetic.  Steve was instrumental in helping organize the Burlington VT ride a few years ago.  I have wanted to do more rides, but the effort involved in the fundraising is quite extensive, and honestly, my time is even more limited now than ever.

A couple of months ago, Speedo and I had our friends, Russ & Gail over for dinner.  The undertone of the get together was to establish a fundraising idea brought up by Russ, who is the owner of a delicious local cafe in town. In weeks prior, I had discussed with Speedo about doing another ride, and of course Steve was diligent about reminding me why we do this, about our kids, and gently encouraging me.  Russ and his wife Gail knew nothing about my possible excursion across the country and my reservation about signing up for a ride.  When Russ initiated a possible fundraising idea, and mentioned diabetes, my spirits soared!
I liquored Russ and Gail up with some summer martinis and we feasted on enormous grilled cheeseburgers and for dessert, coconut gelato with raspberries doused in chocolate sauce.  Yummy.  And then we discussed business.  Russ shared his ideas with what he wanted to do, and when he finished, I explained my stance.  I could and would do the ride in Arizona, IF I felt I could raise the funds and he was offering to aid me in doing so.  It was perfect timing, perfect circumstances.  A perfect evening that wreaked of hope.

The fundraising is a major issue for me.  When I did the VT ride, I sent out a mass email on the anniversary date of Betsey's diagnosis.  I linked this blog to the email; I had just started it for fundraising purposes.  I included Betsey's diagnosis story.  I wanted my audience to know and understand the emotion behind what I was doing, the efforts I was going to put forth in raising the funds needed to ride, and the reason WHY I felt inclined to do so.  I still to this day, can not get through reading my own words about the day we ended up in the hospital with her.  I'm there all over again, and despite the time passed, I can not get used to the hurt and the feeling of despair that came with those days.  

We've moved on.  We've learned SO much.  We've jumped hurdles and crawled lower than low as we have tried to figure out the forever sugary sweet numbers that flow through Betsey's blood.  It's not a death sentence by any means at the rate we are going.  There are far worse things.  There are children who don't have legs to ride their bikes, or strong hearts to help them run fast, or healthy lungs to breathe in the fresh salty air.  I get it.  This is no pity party.  But this is my life. 

This is Betsey's life. 

 I'm not a throwdiabetesinyourface girl.  But, because I'm doing another ride, I'll blog some more, hopefully more often, and let you all know what we are up to.  I feel its crucial for those who donate so generously to know that their money is going to a good cause.  And it's a cause for my girl, Betsey.

Things are underway for my ride.  Money has been raised.  More than half of what I need, and no thanks to me.  Russ is the king of fundraising and soliciting.  He's doing all the things I could never.  And he's doing them so well.  Through his restaurant, Russ has set up cans on the counter for cash and coins for a collection, he has facilitated a table at our local farmers market in town where Betsey and I have baked goodies and sold them, all for the fundraiser.  And the biggest event is this Saturday at the restaurant!  Russ and Gail are hosting a benefit dinner for Betsey and JDRF.  Ticket sales are abundant!!  There is going to be live local music, a silent auction with some incredible donated items, as well as complimentary wine for all guests courtesy of Cafe Routier!  Some of my children are busing and waiting tables, hostessing, we have Speedo in the kitchen with Russel the love muscle....  I'll be running the wine table.  ;)

My heart is full.  I love that feeling.  I am elated with the turnout, the generosity, the understanding and the empathy.  I can not express my thanks enough....   Those of you who are making my heart swell, you know who you are. 

I am so happy.

And Happy is Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment