Monday, October 12, 2009

Hartford Marathon

This weekend was a big weekend in terms of accomplishments!
My brother in law, who 6 months ago, was a donut-lovin member of the HPD, ran the Hartford Marathon!!

Four months ago, I brought him out on a training adventure to help prepare him for the Niantic Bay Tri that he had signed up to do. He couldn't put his face in the water and the slightly less than 1/2 mile swim at T&L's Training Camp was almost enough to completely tire him out. I thought, wow, he better kick it up a little if he wants to do this race in a few weeks!

That same day we did a quick transition and headed onto our bikes for a speedy 12-15 mile loop, and as soon as we got on the main road, he completely wiped out on his bike and busted up his knee. He did the ride with me, but it was not smooth.

The NBT came and went; he finished with great time!!
He then signed up for an olympic distance triathlon in CT and then the marathon in Hartford.

Unbelievable. He is now a 30 pounds or so lighter, and a fit member of the HPD - a role model for all his peers. Job well done LDS!

A few friends ran the half marathon in Hartford this weekend as well, and I'll admit, I kind of wanted to do another one after the Niantic one I just did. The timing just wasn't right.

Hawaii's World Championship Ironman was in Kona also on Sunday, and I had the video streaming live on one of the computers all day. As I came and went I caught snippets of it. It made me nervous, excited and anxious for the next season to start.... not that I have any desire to do a full Ironman...... buuuuuut Amy has officially signed up for Louisville 2010!!! I believe it is the same weekend for the 2010 JDRF ride, so I plan on hopping a plane down there to see her cross the finish line after I bike the century. If I'm not participating in it, I certainly wouldn't miss her finishing for anything!!

As the "off season" draws near, it's hard to slow down and regroup - there's a balance to be found, and I can't quite figure it out........

So I decided to sign Speedo and I up for ballroom dancing ..... It starts this week.

I can not dance. At all. Not even the hokey pokey.

Should be interesting......

No comments:

Post a Comment