Sunday, September 6, 2009

Labor Day Weekend


I am torn about whether or not to keep on blogging..... I kind of like it for an outlet, but ... the ride is over.... I'm still deciding...

I ran 10 miles with Jen and Amy this morning - great cool weather for running here on the shore in CT! Jen and I have the half marathon in less than 3 weeks and we're pretty ready for it! I'm excited to run it!

Yesterday our friends Ted & Lauren held a Tri-B-Q at their home, 7 o'clock in the morning-a one-of-a-kind event and a boat load of fun! It was a sprint triathlon distance followed by breakfast goodies galore! Everyone contributed something in terms of the planning and organizing and the nibbles. It worked out beautifully!! It's amazing to me that in such a big, diverse group of friends and athletes, we can all come together and put on a shin dig like this and have it run so smoothly.

We had 7 teams of 3 people each; one for each leg of the tri; swim, bike, run. There were rules, a transition area, prizes for each team and even long sleeve t-shirts with the logo on them handed out. All the kiddies there got t's with RACE CREW printed on back, and our friend Tracy was the official photographer! we even had a husband in the kayak out in the water making sure all the swimmers were safe.

Amy & Jules, while on different teams, thought alike and brought FLIPPERS to swim in for their leg of the race and destroyed even our fastest swimmers in the group! They were #2 and #3 out of the water!! The rules did not state "no flippers" so while they claim they didn't officially "cheat," I beg to differ. I already have a plan for next year on how to conquer the race and have my team win!!

Our team which included myself, Speedo and Lauren, dressed as superheroes! Speedo was Captain America and Lauren and I were his posse in matching girl costumes! Very fresh and almost not kiddie-appropriate but fun none the less. Other teams got in the spirit, too, and we had some in togas, some in girlie fairy costumes, and some in the race gear ready to battle.

I did my bike leg in costume and had a couple of lawn boys on my route looking at me as if I had just escaped from a mental hospital!!! My brother in law was in front of me for the bike course and then following him was Heather dressed as a fairy. At one point on the route, there was a man standing outside his home, and my brother in law told me after the ride, that as he rode by this man, he said, "Help me!! I have a fairy and a superhero chasing me!"

So the man must have thought he was totally nuts.... until Heather and I pedaled by in costume!!

It was only a 12 mile bike ride, and early in the morning so traffic wasn't terrible, and the costumes added that much more pizazz to the event!

The party was a nice end-of-the-season get together. As Fall draws near, the days are getting shorter and the light in the mornings is dwindling. It just reminds us that soon we'll be back in the pool, inside the gym and our days outside are numbered. :( A big bummer. I hope to have some pictures of the Tri-B-Q this week!

Tomorrow we're headed out early for a group ride. I very much look forward to our group rides especially since we're not all really training for anything at this point. There's a couple of folks doing the last 2 tri's coming up this season, but besides that, it's all for fun now. It makes the rides very enjoyable. No pressure to go hard - though we usually do anyway. After all, what's that phrase one of my trainers told me once? Go Hard or Go Home!

There's always a chance to rest on your day off! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment