Monday, June 15, 2009

Diabetes and Numbers

Is there a connection, I wonder? And the next time we're at Yale, I have to remember to ask, if there is a correlation to diabetic kids and math - doing well with math. Betsey loves math. We received a notice in the mail recently asking for our acceptance for the school to put her in an advanced math class for 7th grade.

Well, of course!

When she got home from school and I showed her the note, she smiled big, kind of giggled, and I asked her if that was something she wanted to do - you can object the placement. She said Yes, but she was nervous about it.... Always wanting things a little bit harder, but nervous about how hard. There is always the chance she won't be able to keep up and they will then transfer her back down a notch, and she realizes this, but accepts the challenge. I think I know someone else like that.....

At dinner in our house, it is a family affair, and often we play games to draw things out of the children about their day at school or just for fun. One of Betsey's favorite games is the Math Game- go figure. She wins every time, and it's always a shouting match at the end because the littles aren't involved and "Betsey always wins" said in a sing-song-whiny voice. Someone, Speedo or I, shout out math problems, whether it's a long equation -- 5 + 4 x 8 - 2 divided by 10 + 7 -- said with a pause in between each segment, but no repeating, so they have to follow along and compute in their heads, or simply the multiplication table and the quickest answer wins. Betsey JUMPS out of her chair to answer and usually plays the game standing up, finger flailing and face red as a tomato, all fired up to win! It's always her suggestion to play, and mine to end the game because it gets so out of hand.

Sometimes I even play against her. Of course, I win, but I sweat while I play, afraid to have the little know-it-all get me. :)

Diabetes and numbers? Could it be helpful to kids like Bets, where numbers are always going through their heads; adding, multiplying, figuring out equations all day long about blood sugars, boluses, pump adjustments? Maybe....

No comments:

Post a Comment