Monday, April 26, 2010

Sweet Dreams

Betsey came into my room the other morning, a rare occasion in the mornings during the mad dash for the buses, breakfasts and last minute paper signings, hair do-ing, and general chaos. The older 3 girls are always in a hustle and bustle in their morning routines, it's seldom we chat about more than "Did you brush your teeth?" "Is your homework done for sure?" "Don't forget to make your beds please!" "Please pack at least 1 fruit and veggie in your lunches."

That last one, that reminder about good-eats, I swear is followed with an eye roll, as they're stuffing cookie crumbs and granola bars and other snack yummies into their bags.

So as I was doing my foofoo, I heard Betsey approach, notifying me about a dream she had last night that was "so cool." She got my attention.

She wasn't dressed yet, still adorned with bed head and looking warm and cozy in one of my old race tshirts, baggie jammie bottoms and that morning sleepy-eye that only kids call pull off.

"I had this dream, it was so cool. I was at a party, and they were serving candy, and I could just eat it for dinner. There were skittles, and twix and all sorts of chewies and it didn't matter, I could eat all of it."

I listened, watching her gi-normous baby blues dancing as she told me, practically drooling about all that sugar. The first thing I did was smile at her. A happiness smile, like a smile that was warm and reached out to her as if I could wrap her up and that dream and my smile could make it all better. The second thing I did, was ask her a question. With a side glance and a smirk I said, "Did you bolus?"

She smirked back at me and said, "I don't remember."

She felt the need to share with me that she had a food dream where diabetes didn't play a role. Bolusing wasn't dreamt about, her pump wasn't there, and it was a sugar feast!

We had Betsey's check up at Yale last week. We met with Dr. Jen-the diabetic doctor, which is always so enlightening. I respect all of the clinicians at Yale, I take all of their advice and use it, but there is something to be said for receiving advice from someone who has "been there, done that" and I find it reassuring. It's like a mother telling you how to parent one of your children based on experience they've had babysitting the same age child, but not been down that road as a mother themselves. Though, I find the nurses at Yale to be more equipped with Betsey's diabetes even if they don't have it than advice on parenting from the peanut gallery.

Betsey's A1c was a stunning 6.2 - down several points from 3 months ago, and such a good, good thing!! I was so happy and so was she. The smile she gives me at these visits is an "I told you so" and she looks so darn beautiful when she looks at me like that. I see her father's kindness and my smugness all mixed into her loveliness. We discussed her not wearing her medic alert, something that is like a seat belt for her. The doctor explained the importance of it, and of course, coming from anyone but Mom, it sounds better, and whaddya know? She's been wearing her dog tag necklace ever since. :)
We're heading for big adventures in our house in the coming months-we are moving and the house we've bought is a doozy and needs oodles of TLC. I will be looking forward to training rides for the JDRF ride in July to help keep my mind level with all the work we have ahead of us! The time is nearing and I have to sign up...... With the upcoming move, I have put all plans for any races on hold and will offically call it an "off season." I'll do the 100 mile ride and some road races, but no big events for me this year.
Life is busy. Life is good-Betsey had another great check up and at least in her dreams, she doesn't need to worry about counting carbs and bolusing!

No comments:

Post a Comment